Monday, August 27, 2007

Full Lunar Eclipse

The Earth's shadow will pass over the moon's surface early Tuesday, slowly eclipsing it and turning it to shades of orange and red. This is the second lunar eclipse this year, and should be visible in North and South America.

The full eclipse will begin at 5:52 a.m. EDT.

Since I write about werewolves, you know I've read all about this, right? LOL I also happen to find the moon fascinating all by itself, even without any mystical connotations. So, here's what will happen. An eclipse occurs when Earth passes between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun's light.

Since the Earth is larger than the moon, the process of the Earth's shadow totally eclipsing it before the shadow recedes, lasts about 3 1/2 hours. The total eclipse phase, in which the moon has a reddish/orange glow, lasts about 1 1/2 hours. (My favorite part.) I'm hoping to get some pictures if I have time.

The next total lunar eclipse will be Feb. 21, 2008.

1 comment:

The Psychic Photographer said...

Hmm I love the moon and missed the eclipse totally !