Thursday, January 3, 2008

Release Anxiety

This post was originally written for a feature on The Raven Blog. However, it has gotten such good response and helped so many writers that I thought I would re-post it here:)

Press Release. Just those two words are enough to send some authors straight into a panic attack. But they don’t have to be. This post will focus on just how simple writing a press release can be. It doesn’t have to take hours, or make your hair turn gray. I don’t profess to be an expert, but I have had some success with writing my own.

My first release, which I will share in this article, has earned me coverage on two local morning shows with an invitation to return, two feature articles with local newspapers, which I interviewed for, as well as several other papers which chose to print the release exactly as is.

The first, and really good thing, about a press release is it needs to be short and simple. Journalists are looking for a story, not a biography. So, your release should read like a headline. Pick up your local paper for some examples.

Second, it should be written in third person. This is just as simple as pretending someone else is writing about you.

Third, include a brief statement about your book, you may even use your blurb if sounds good with the rest of the release.

Lastly, include a brief statement about yourself followed by where they can obtain more information about your book. (like your website)

Here is my press release as an example. Word has many formats you can choose from. At the top I included contact information, name, address, and a number where I could be reached. This is what I included below my contact information:

Local author announces debut novel

Graceville, FL, August 11, 2007: Tracey H. Kitts, a local author from Graceville, FL, is happy to announce the release of her debut novel, Red. It is being released through New Concepts Publishing (www.newconceptspublishing.com).

Red is a paranormal romance novel. It is the first book in the Lilith Mercury: Werewolf Hunter Series. Lilith Mercury is a werewolf hunter whose love life is nearly as dangerous as her job. She’s torn between the man who saved her humanity and the one who makes her want to embrace the beast.

According to Ms. Kitts, “I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this series and look forward to continuing the story.”

The second book in the series, Object of My Affection is also under contract with New Concepts Publishing with the release date to be announced.

Red, ISBN: 978-1-60494-049-8
-End-

Also, be sure to say “End” at the end of your press release. Then, take a deep breath and relax. That’s all there is to it.

Tracey H. Kitts is the author of the Lilith Mercury: Werewolf Hunter Series with New Concepts Publishing. Her debut novel, Red was released in August 2007 with NCP. Book two, Object of My Affection was release in October 2007.

For more information on Tracey and her books, you can find her at www.traceyhkitts.com or www.newconceptspublishing.com

No comments: