Thursday, February 21, 2008

Melissa Walker - Featured Author



Violet by Design by Melissa Walker

Sometimes people ask me why I like to write for teenagers, and I always tell them it’s because in those years were the most emotionally raw and honest time of my life so far. Remember your first dance? The day you got your driver’s license (Yes!)? Your best friend whom you’ve known since kindergarten and don’t keep any secrets from? Your first broken heart? Remember leaving that all behind? I do.

Here’s a scene from my new book, Violet by Design, out in March. It’s about a small-town girl who grows up tall and gawky—and ends up becoming a successful model. And even though Violet lives in the fashionable world of runways and playboys and couture, she’s still 18, with a hometown and best friends and memories that are hard to part with.

This is a quick look at the scene when Violet’s leaving home, and saying goodbye to her best friend, who is heading off to college:

After leaving Julie’s, I drove over to Roger’s to deliver the mix CD, which I called “Last Goodbye” after our favorite Jeff Buckley song (and because I’m completely over-the-top like that). I handed it to him and he said, “I will cycle each and every one of these songs through my myspace profile, in tribute to you.” Then he pulled me into his chest and we just stood in his driveway hugging. I could feel his sweater getting wet as I teared up, and I stepped back and sniffled, saying something about how I didn’t want to ruin an Original Penguin. He looked at me for a second and then pulled me back in without saying a word. We hugged for a good 10 minutes in total silence before I finally got in the car drove away.

It sounds weird, but I’m not just going on vacation or away for summer camp—we’re all leaving now. And although I don’t doubt that we’ll be friends forever, I know it’ll never be the same as it was when we were growing up at home. And I feel like that time ended, like, today.

VIOLET BY DESIGN, sequel to VIOLET ON THE RUNWAY
· Paperback: 224 pages
· Publisher: Berkley Trade (March 4, 2008)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 0425219402
· ISBN-13: 978-0425219409

2 comments:

Tracey H. Kitts said...

Thanks for being my guest today, Melissa:)

Melissa Walker said...

Thanks for having me, Tracey!