Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Process of Creation

No, I'm not talking about the Heavens and the Earth here. But, I have recently created a fictional city called Eden that I am quickly falling in love with. If I had to give a brief description I'd say it's somewhere between real life New York and the fictional Sin City. There's potential danger around every corner, not to mention vampires, werewolves and ... priests? LOL Well, it's a long story or it's going to be once I finish it:)

I realized as I began to work on this new book that it's the process of creation that keeps me coming back for more. Sure, getting a royalty check is nice and having readers tell me they enjoyed my book(s) keeps me high for days. But there's nothing quite like putting it all together, seeing all those little bits and pieces in your head form a real person or place, watching your fantasies come to life in black and white. It's amazing.

Some days I still wonder why I didn't finish my degree and become a sex therapist. But not on the days that I get to write. On those days I know what I was meant to do with my life. When I write I feel that I have worth, that all of my random thoughts have the potiential to become something more. And every now and then I find a character like Viktor (master vampire) who also believes in the tooth fairy. LOL

No comments: