Thursday, March 27, 2008

Train Through Your Injuries

Some of you may know (or maybe you don’t), in my other life I’m a kickboxer. A few weeks ago, I have no idea how, but I injured my left knee. It is only now beginning to see improvement. At first I just didn’t strain it at all and tried to stay off my feet. But that didn’t accomplish much. In fact, it seemed to be getting worse. That is until I started to train again, lightly of course.

What has this got to do with writing? Well, it’s got something to do with life and I’m writing about it. It just occurred to me that training through my injuries always seems to work for me. So, why not do this with the rest of my life? I think if more people would apply that mentality, they might come out of things a lot stronger.

No, I’m not preaching, I speak from experience. If you focus your energies on something positive, rather than the injury, it tends to heal quicker. I’m not saying you should overlook it, just don’t dwell on it, whatever it might be.

I’m not saying you should turn a blind eye either. I’ve had people mistreat me, just like everybody else has. Some of them I can’t stand to this day. So essentially, I’m always training through those injuries. I’m always pushing myself to be the bigger person. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. But those muscles do get more flexible with time.

1 comment:

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Great post, Tracey and so true!
PamT