Monday, July 7, 2008

Allie Boniface - Featured Author

THK: Tell me about yourself. Anything you would like readers know about you. This might include how you got started writing, your hobbies and interests – things that will make them feel like they’re getting to know you on a personal level.

AB: Hi, Tracey, and thanks for having me here today! Now that it’s summer, I’ve had the chance to relax and catch up on my reading and writing, since I’m a full-time high school English and Education teacher, 10 months out of the year. My husband and I usually travel during the summer months, but with the crazy gas prices this year, we’re taking advantage of our own backyard instead! When we do travel, our favorite spots include anywhere in the United States west of the Mississippi (since we both grew up in New York), the Outer Banks, and Western Europe. When I’m not teaching, traveling, or writing, I’m also a runner, a pianist, and a volunteer at my local animal shelter. All of my adventures give me plenty of fodder for my books!

THK: Tell me about your current and upcoming releases. Please include a blurb and a link to where the book can be purchased.

AB: I’m a fairly new author of contemporary romance who celebrated her first two releases in 2007. One Night in Boston released with Samhain Publishing in ebook format July 2007 and in print May 2008. Lost in Paradise released with The Wild Rose Press in ebook format in November 2007 and in print May 2008. My most recent novel, One Night in Memphis, just released with Samhain back in early July. It’s available in ebook right now!

o Purchase Link: http://samhainpublishing.com/authors/allie-boniface

THK: What genre do you write it? What drew you to write in that genre? If you mix genres talk about that too.

AB: My novels hover on the line between contemporary romance and women’s fiction (which has a love story but does not necessarily focus on the love story). I have always been a sucker for a happy ending, but I also enjoy exploring the complexities of relationships and the power of the human heart. My novels are all rooted in real life and are inspired by people and events I encounter on a daily basis.

THK: How many books have you written? How many have been published?

AB: I’ve written five as of this blog interview, and three have been published. The other two need a little revising before I submit them, though I hope to find homes for them both before the end of 2008. Fingers crossed!

THK: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

AB: I do not fill out character charts and I do not analyze the GMC (Goal Motivation Conflict) arc of my story. I know, I know – these are things you’re supposed to do before you get started. But I don’t. I just write the story. Of course, sometimes that approach works and sometimes it doesn’t.

THK: What is the hardest part of writing?

AB: The middle of a book, when you suddenly think “This really stinks, the plot is sagging, and there’s no way it’s going to get to the end and be any good.” I get very frustrated with middles.

THK: What do you read for fun when you’re not writing?

AB: Literary fiction, mostly. My latest favorite authors include Jodi Picoult, Jennifer Finney Boylan, and Carolyn Parkhurst. I’ve been reading some different genres of romance, too, including works by Tori Phillips (historical), Kerry A. Jones (paranormal), and Stephenie Meyer (YA fantasy).

THK: Any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

AB: Be aware that it is very difficult to write a complete novel and to get published – but it is not impossible. Believe in your abilities, take classes in the craft of writing, and find writing partners who support you and write in the same genre as you do. Be open to constructive criticism, as well.
http://www.allieboniface.com/
http://www.allieboniface.blogspot.com/
allieb@allieboniface.com
View my trailers at http://www.previewthebook.com/

One Night in Boston Purchase Link: http://samhainpublishing.com/print/one-night-in-boston-print
One Night in Memphis Purchase Link: http://samhainpublishing.com/authors/allie-boniface

3 comments:

Tracey H. Kitts said...

Thanks for being my guest, Allie:)

Allie Boniface said...

It's great being here on my release day, Tracey!

Dru said...

Good interview.