Sunday, August 14, 2011

The simple joy of growing things

I've had a lot on my mind lately. I'm working on a new short story, trying to come up with a good name for a completed story, and writing a novel length work. Plus, I need to re-vamp my website (thanks to Microsoft and GoDaddy), and I'm tired. HAHAHA

Which brings me back to the title of this post. I'm sure there are other people (especially writers) out there who are just as busy and overworked at times as I am. I love what I do, but trying to find the time to write when you run your own website, do your own marketing, and have a family is difficult.

So, why the hell would you want to try and squeeze in gardening? Because it is excellent therapy. Seriously. I blogged before about starting my pumpkin garden. It's done wonders for me and all I've got so far are itty-bitty seedlings. I love fall, and the color orange, so pumpkins are probably the most therapeutic thing I could plant. But anything you enjoy (that's in season) will work.

There is something profoundly relaxing about making something grown. To bring life instead of tearing something down. It's simple and complex at the same time. Gardening is one of life's simple pleasures and I highly recommend it.

If you are stressed out, plant something. I got a puppy too, but that may be more work than everyone is looking for. Ha. Ha. Still very rewarding as well.

Some plants (like pumpkins) only require a seasonal commitment. Others, like my roses need a little care year round.

My point is, spend a little time with nature. It sounds cheesy, but you might be surprised by the effect it can have on your ability to relax. It's totally worth it. Everything you need to work on will still be there when you get back. Trust me.

No comments: