Monday, January 30, 2012

It's always awkward when...

Someone says they bought one of my books for their kid. Or they intend to buy one for their kid. Seriously? Why do people assume that I write children's stories? Have they never even looked at the cover art?

No matter how many times I tell people that no one under 18 should read my books, someone is bound to not believe me. There is graphic sex and graphic violence in my stories, and often graphic language.

Though I'm sure most kids have seen worse on HBO by now, I don't want to be to blame for anything. Know what I mean?

Every time I explain this to a parent I feel like they should know better. But, it still happens. Don't get me wrong, it's up to each individual what they allow their kids to see or read. Still, if someone says to me, "I downloaded your book for my 15-year-old." I'm going to tell them, "Please, don't let a 15-year-old read my books."

In my opinion it would be grossly inappropriate. I'm not trying to tell people how to raise their kids; I'm saying I think children should NOT read my work.

I'm not sure how this misconception started, but I DO NOT write children's books.

No comments: