Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting back into the swing of things, and a rant about Buffy. LOL

As those of you who read my blog (or know me in real life) know, it's been a rough few weeks. I've started writing on my latest book again. I've even set myself a weekly word count goal which is helping me stay focused. I've started working out again, and after 2 weeks it is hard. I had no idea that such a short break (because I only took long ones in the past. LOL) could make such a big difference. My running time is back to sucking, but I'm still a helluva kickboxer. Okay, I'm getting sidetracked. The truth is I'm up earlier than I expected and thought it would be a great opportunity to catch everyone up on me. Since recent weeks have been so stressful, my insomnia is working overtime. I'm trying to combat that with harder workouts and melatonin.

Anyway, I'm making plans for a huge pumpkin garden this year. Some time next week, I'll be starting my little seeds. My dad has decided which areas in his garden (because I don't have room) where we are going to put these bad boys and I'm ready to get started. But first, I'm going to get them started in these cute little pots and peat pellets.

On a side note (of what I've been doing lately) I've almost completely finished watching the Buffy The Vampire Slayer series. I never watched it when it was on TV back in the day. I was a big fan of the movie version. I know, I know, apparently I'm in the minority there. But, I had no interest in seeing Buffy done a different way.

THIS HAS SPOILERS. IT MAY RUIN IT FOR YOU IF YOU PLAN TO WATCH THIS SERIES.

My husband and I love to watch television series together. We like long story lines, so we decided to try Buffy. We started watching some time last year, and made it through season 4. Early on this year, he stopped at the beginning of season 5. He said that Buffy was too much of a bitch for him to enjoy the show any more. I must say, I agree. However, I kept watching.

Now I realize that Buffy has a lot of die hard fans out there. I'm not knocking the series on the whole. It's the character of Buffy herself that lost her appeal for me. At the end of season 4, I already didn't care one way or another what happened to her. The entire story line for season 5 I found weak, and I hated the addition of Dawn.

I just finished season 6 (with my son who is watching the series too) and we are in agreement. Buffy is a raging bitch. Over all, I still like the show, but the character of Buffy really brings the rest of the story down in my opinion.

I try to not criticize the work of others and to be fair when I feel I really want to say something. I've thought it over (a lot) and I wish Buffy had stayed dead. I will finish (eventually) and watch season 7, but the show hasn't been enjoyable to me since early season 4. Oh, and the over all plot for season 4 was weak too.

The only character I've continued to like throughout (and be able to fully understand and sympathize with her motives) is Willow. When she beat the crap out of Buffy in season 6, it turned me on. Ha. Ha. Ha. Sorry, but that's how much I hate Buffy at this point.

Mostly, this stems from her treatment of Spike. It's not that I'm a crazy Spike fan, although I do like him. The way she has repeatedly treated him has diminished her character. She keeps repeating that he is a "soulless thing." But doesn't treating someone else the way she has take away her own soul piece by piece? Regardless of what he was in the past, he's been (at the very least) a valuable member of the team. She doesn't have to love him, but don't treat him like worse than shit. It makes her no longer a hero, but just a bitch with super powers.

Wow. Apparently, that has REALLY been on my mind. And here I was planning to talk about my new book and my pumpkin garden. Holy crap. Ha. Ha. Ha.




3 comments:

Wend said...

I only kept watching cuz I LOVE Spike. Dawn was too much of a pain, plus the writers kept heaping on more and more tragedy that I was depressed. I did finish the series and was tickled that Spike -- well, I won't spoil the ending for you. I was happy and sad.

Unknown said...

Couldn't stand Dawn. I still don't know what purpose she served. Spike was great, but yes, Buffy was a bit of a bitch to him. :)

Tracey H. Kitts said...

I've always found Spike entertaining. He's my favorite character next to Willow. I used to love Spike, but he dropped down to like when he kept taking crap off Buffy.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who hates Dawn. Yes, hate is a strong word, but I feel very strongly about her whiny little voice. LOL She drives me nuts. Every time she gets upset she gets all whiny and nasal. WTF? Not to mention, she's a selfish little brat.

I also agree that seasons 5 and 6 were overloaded with tragedy. I finished season 5 just a few days before my sister-in-law died. Now THAT was awful. If things had happened the other way around, I would have had to stop watching.

I get that conflict makes the world go round when it comes to plot. However, repeated tragedy just pisses off your audience. :)